Tuesday, August 19, 2008

From The Battlefield

There lies the corpse of a friend I had,
There lies what we had seen,
There lies the sword that killed my friend,
And one they said that we would win,

There lies the bloodied sword of my brother,
Our fathers shield lay not far,
My mothers faith tied in a scarf to the shield,
They had even planted on it a reddened sear,

And here I lie - alive and breathing,
My eyes wet by the sight,
But they say I should not cry,
Warriors do not love - they only fight,

I had seen the most gruesome of sights,
And there was no light 'fore the dark to end,
The bruised and the dead cry out in pain,
The war we had won, with so much to mend,

Someday I shall forget this,
Someday they shall break the lock,
Till then I shall wait and weep,
Till then I shall live in shock.

No comments: